Easy Lentil Dahl
Until I tried making it, I always thought making dahl was a long, drawn out experience only to be attempted when one had oodles of time up their sleeve (because that always happens??) I was pleasantly surprised to see (and taste!) that this easy lentil dahl was quite the opposite. This has become a go-to weeknight meal and when served with the recipe below for homemade vegan flat bread (that’s a bit savoury scone like), it has quickly become a favourite!
- 3 cups mixed lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed well
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 drop doTERRA Black Pepper essential oil
- 1 drop doTERRA Cilantro essential oil
- 1 cup coconut cream
- fresh lemon juice, to serve
Add all ingredients except for the essential oils, coconut cream and lemon juice to a large pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Add the coconut cream and essential oils and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
Simple Chilli Salsa
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 – 2 tsp chilli infused olive oil
- pinch salt
Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
Home made Flat Bread
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plain coconut yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, herbs and garlic in a large bowl. Stir in the yoghurt until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a clean, floured surface and knead until the dough feels elastic – a few minutes. Return the dough to a bowl, cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece out to about 1cm thick.
In batches, heat the oil over a medium heat in a non-stick pan and cook each flatbread for 3 – 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden.
Serve dahl with brown rice, salsa, flat bread, fresh lemon juice and fresh coriander.