This is one of those recipes where you really can use whatever you have on hand (aka my kind of no-fuss cooking!) You can use any plain flour, gluten-free, whatever floats your boat. Whatever sugar works too. Apple sauce is just a nicer alternative to vegetable oil and you could use frozen raspberries if you prefer. Flexy isn’t it?
Oh, it’s definitely more ‘cakey’ then a traditional muffin, which definitely isn’t a bad thing!
- 2 cups white Spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup (240g) Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 drops doTERRA Lavender essential oil (I used 3 as I’m used to the taste)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1½ cups frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (360ºF). Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yoghurt, eggs, essential oil, vanilla and apple sauce. Whisk together.
- Stir through the flour mixture until just combined. Carefully fold in the blueberries and scoop into 2 x 6-hole muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 125g cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 4-5 drops doTERRA Lemon essential oil
- Stir with a fork until well combined and top each cooled muffin with about 1 Tbsp of frosting.