With Valentine’s day just around the corner, I thought these cute, simple sweet treats would be the perfect little gift for your love. (Or if you’re like my beautiful friend Brie, you could make them for your kid’s Kindergarten teachers. Teachers always love a little recognition!)
NOTES: If you want to enhance the flavour of the hazelnuts (and have the time) I often roast them in a 180º oven for about 45 minutes and then allow them to cool before using. I feel the mixture is sweet enough with the fresh Medjool dates, however feel free to add a tablespoon or two of Maple syrup if you think it needs it. Also a heads up – the pitted dates that you buy in a packet are NOT the same thing. If that’s all you have, you will need to soak them in boiling water for 15 minutes then drain before using. They aren’t anywhere near as sweet as the Medjool so will probably need some extra syrup.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 Tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- Process the nuts and cacao powder until crumbly.
- One by one, add the dates and mix until no large chunks remain.
- Add sweetener if necessary. Pinch the mixture together between your fingers – if it holds its shape it’s the right consistency. If not, add 1 Tbsp cold water at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Press the mixture into the heart shaped moulds and roll the remaining mixture into bliss balls (no waste here folks!)
- Freeze for an hour before serving and drizzle with melted chocolate.
Enjoy! I’d love to see if you create these, so post a photo and use the hashtag #nicolejoyinspire